Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Quiet Woman

Up at 8am again as we prep for the next leg of our journey. We just thought a nice quiet retreat near a lake was in order so Kelly booked us an AirB&B in Cong which is just north of Galway about 50 km or so.

GPS Routing will be... R337  to R338, N84 to Headford, R334 & R346 to Cong

I showered up and started packing. Kelly is not feeling 100% as she has some dizziness from her inner ear. I went off and grabbed a couple coffees and brought them back.  We also enjoyed some croissants that we purchased the previous day. Well I did anyway!

We are moving slowly as Kelly got ready while I loaded bags into the car. I took a last stroll of the area and enjoyed the views that it provided.

Salthill buidings
Many colors made for a great picture.
Great gardens as well.
There is a certain "right of way rule" that applies here!
On our way at 13:15 and quickly out of the city after a short stop to sort out some "vertigo issues".  We had planned to stop at the local RC field but the gate was locked and traffic was a bit crazy due to some road work. If you do go... just past Curraghline, cross a small river on a bridge and take the first right turn to the gate

We continued on to our B&B in Cong and arrived at 14:00.  I went and met with our host Martha and she kindly gave me the choice of two rooms overlooking the river. I picked the one with the biggest bathroom of course:-) This is the nicest B&B we have ever been in... the band should have come here!!

Our B&B in Cong... top right window with the shades drawn:-)
I managed to get Kelly sorted and then brought up our luggage. Kelly continues to have some vertigo issues and is taking life very gingerly right now. With her comfortably settled,  I went out and explored the area on my own while she rested.

There is a fish hatchery right next door with river access via a nice pathway. I headed off looking for some lucky fisherman with a catch. No luck but I did see fish jumping at one point.

River flows across the road.
Very tranquil. 
 For those that are unaware, Cong is the location of some filming of the 1952 Classic "The Quiet Man" staring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Wikipedia here

Ode to the filming of The Quiet Man
Bronze Statue of John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara
 There is a museum dedicated to this film along with several locations in Cong that served as movie sets for the filming... like the pub etc! This is one of the main tourist draws for the area.

The famous Pat Cohan Pub in Cong.
I stopped in at the famed Pat Cohen Pub and had a pint after the loooong drive. I was parched I tell you! The Cong Abbey made for some nice photos as I strolled around the grounds and checked out some of the pathways that adjoin the Abbey and river area. We will do these tomorrow when Kelly is feeling better.
Cong Abbey
Cong Abbey
More Abbey shots
Cong Abbey
Cong Abbey
The river... so peaceful!
 The monk's fishing house was built in and around the mid 15th century and was used to make the task of catching fish easier. It is built on a platform of stones over a small arch that allows water to pass underneath it making it easy to net fish

The Monk' s Fishing House
Amazing view.
I checked back with Kelly and as she was feeling better, we took a short stroll around the town and some of it's pathways. A few supplies (banana, crackers and sprite was my dinner) at the local Spar store and back to the room for the evening.

In a fitting tribute, we looked up "The Quiet Man" on the net and streamed the movie to our iPads. A nice finish to the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment